Hello fall residents,
First, we want to thank you for your continued commitment in following the university’s guidelines and directives as outlined for residents this fall. We know that as you returned to campus, it took some time to get used to the modified guidelines implemented in response to slowing the spread of this ongoing virus, including weekly testing, daily symptom monitoring and training.
We have seen your efforts to follow these guidelines. In our continued actions to support both the safety and the wellbeing of our on-campus students, and after a review of current trends on campus by public health experts, we are updating the fall 2020 guest policy on a temporary basis. Effective today, Wednesday, Nov. 11, each residential student will be allowed to host one guest from the same residence hall in their unit during the day; no overnight guests allowed.
Please be aware that this adjustment to the guest policy applies to the fall 2020 semester only. When students return for the spring semester, we will begin the new semester with the no guest policy in place. The fall adjustment is contingent upon continued successful adherence by the majority of residents to the public health measures that have limited the rates of COVID-19 transmission on campus. All guest restrictions will be reinstated if public health conditions warrant or compliance with the revised guidelines is not met. We have confidence in our residents’ ongoing commitment to the health of our campus as we implement this revised guest policy for, hopefully, the rest of this semester.
As we implement this revised guest policy, these related guidelines are in effect
- Outside guests are still not allowed under this revision to the policy. Visitors who are not part of our approved on-campus cohort this semester, including family or friends may not be following the same public health protocols such as testing and symptom monitoring, and their visits may put our community at risk.
- On-campus residents will be allowed to host one resident from their same residence hall as a guest in their room. Students who are not currently assigned to the host’s residence hall will not be permitted to visit. (ie: District House residents may visit other District House residents but cannot visit South or Shenkman halls.)
- Guests may visit between the hours of 7 a.m. - 10 p.m., daily.
- Guests will not be allowed to stay overnight in the room that they are not assigned to.
- Residents and their guests are still expected to adhere to all university social distancing measures, including maintaining 6 feet distance when visiting and wearing face coverings when in the presence of another individual, even in your own room.
- If you or your suitemate are under a quarantine or isolation, the no guest policy remains in effect. Please do not allow visitors into your room if you are in quarantine or isolation. That defeats the purpose of those safety measures.
- The host resident is responsible for their guest’s behavior when their guest is in their unit. A violation of the guest policy may result in the resident being found as equally responsible as the guest and sanctioned accordingly.
- If a guest is showing any symptoms of being sick, the guest should return to their own assigned unit immediately and call a medical provider for assistance. Symptoms include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea.
Please note that this temporary fall revision may be re-enacted at any time based on transmission rate and other public health measures. Thank you for your patience and flexibility in adapting to decisions made to keep our community healthy and safe during this unprecedented time.
For our Student Athletes in On-Campus Housing:
Student-athletes living in affinity spaces are prohibited from hosting or being guests outside of their team bubble. All guests/hosts must live within the same building. Student-athletes living in an affinity space and who are maintaining a testing bubble within their team may gather only with other members of their team in an affinity space so long as:
- All individuals present wear masks and maintain 6 feet of distance at all times.
- No one present is under quarantine or isolation.
- The gathering does not exceed 10 people while maintaining a minimum of 6 feet social distancing.
- Official athletic events exceeding 10 people will have Athletics staff present and will not occur in the residence hall residential room.
Questions about this new update may be directed to your CLRE point of contact or the Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities at [email protected], @GWConduct, or 202-994-6757.
Thank you for your continued cooperation this fall as together we navigate this evolving situation. We hope that this update is welcome news.
Stay healthy and stay well,
Stewart Robinette and Seth Weinshel
Assistant Deans of Students for Campus Living and Residential Education