For an external exposure to a known COVID-19 case:
*COVID-19 Exposure (being a Close Contact) is defined as (1) being within approximately 6 feet of an individual with COVID-19 for more than 15 minutes over a 24-hour period, or (2) having direct contact with the infectious secretions from an individual with COVID-19. Note: The definition of “close contact” does not include all other individuals on the same floor or in the same building as a positive individual, unless they also meet criteria (1) or (2).
If you are considered up-to-date on your vaccines (i.e., fully vaccinated and boosted, if eligible):
In accordance with CDC recommendations:
- Please schedule a test for at least 3-5 days after your exposure date listed above through the medical portal or immediately if you develop COVID-19 like symptoms.
- Please wear a mask in all public indoor settings and as required by the university.
- You are NOT required to quarantine during this period. You may still attend class or work.
- If you develop COVID-19 like-symptoms, please contact the Colonial Health Center (students)(202-994-5300) or Occupational Health (faculty/staff)(202-677-6230). Please stay home as with any illness and work with your professors/supervisors to ensure you will not miss class and/or work.
- Seek medical care immediately for serious symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest discomfort or if you feel faint. As a GW affiliate, you have access to free on-campus COVID-19 testing when you need it regardless of your current testing schedule.
If you have a vaccine or booster exemption:
Please take the following steps during quarantine:
- Begin quarantine on the date of your last exposure to a positive COVID-19 case.
- On your next daily screening survey, please answer yes to question 3 (have you been in close contact).
- Schedule a COVID-19 test immediately and another for at least 3-5 days from your last exposure.
- Notify your professors/supervisors that you are quarantining and will not report to in-person class or work.
- Monitor symptoms and seek medical care for serious symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest discomfort or feeling faint.
- You must have two negative tests before you are released from quarantine. We recommend that you monitor symptoms for 10 days as the safest course of action.
- You can find more detailed instructions here: Quarantine Guidance for Students, Quarantine Guidance for Staff/Faculty.
If you have any medical questions, please contact the Colonial Health Center (students) at 202-994-5300 or Occupational Health (faculty and staff) at 202-677-6230.