As we announced earlier this week, classroom learning will move to online learning following spring break from March 23 through April 5. GW will remain open and operational, and faculty and staff have been instructed to telework beginning March 16. GW is taking these steps in light of the CDC’s recommendation of social distancing with the goal of limiting the number of people on our campuses.
If you have been granted an exemption to stay in on-campus housing or are a designated on-site employee, please read this message carefully for information on building and parking garage access on our campuses. Please ensure that you carry your GWorld card, as you will need it to access buildings on GW’s campuses.
The following changes in access control will go into effect on March 14:
- “All Tap” access in residence halls will end tomorrow. Residents will be able to access their assigned building only, not other residence halls.
Lerner Health and Wellness Center and West Hall Gym Access
- Lerner Health and Wellness Center and West Hall Gym will be closed.
- Gelman Library is open and operating with limited hours and services. Library resources remain available to all students, faculty, and staff to maintain research activities and support online classes. Please check this list of remote library services and resources. Assistance is available via the virtual Ask Us desk during scheduled Ask Us Desk hours or by email at [email protected].
- Eckles Library will be closed.
- VSTC Library will be self-service only with no on-site assistance.
Academic and Other Buildings
- The Milken Institute School of Public Health will maintain its current access control policies with a guard.
- Ross Hall will maintain its current access control policies with a guard.
- All other buildings at the Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science and Technology campuses and all Virginia academic centers will be secured and only available to authorized GWorld card holders beginning tomorrow.
- The Corcoran Flagg Building is closed to the public beginning tomorrow.
The following changes in access control go into effect on March 16:
Public Spaces with Vendors
- (District House, Shenkman Hall, Marvin Center, the GW Law School)
- The Marvin Center will remain open to the public every day from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. to allow access to the Colonial Health Center, Panera Bread, GWorld Card Office and the Faculty & Staff Service Center during limited operational hours.
- Please check their websites or call for the latest information.
- Shenkman Hall Dining is closed to the public.
- The Shenkman dining facilities will be open only to active GWorld card holders from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday – Sunday.
- District House Dining will be closed to the public.
- District House Dining will be open only to active GWorld card holders from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- West Hall Dining will be closed to the public.
- Pelham Commons Dining will be open only to active GWorld card holders for 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The GW Law School will be closed to the public and accessible only to those with GWorld access.
- The Marvin Center garage will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday – Sunday.
- The 1957 E Street garage will be closed to the public and current permit holders.
- Permit holders in the Marvin Center and 1957 E Street garages will be contacted in the near future about alternate parking locations.
- Designated on-site employees who do not have the option to telework will be provided information about where they can park on campus.
- All other garages will continue their normal operations and are open to the public, permit holders, and GW daily parkers.
- Teleworking employees who may have to occasionally come to campus are encouraged to use a pay to park garage or available street parking.
GW will continue to monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of campus access controls and may make further changes as needed. We will notify you of any further changes. We ask for your continued understanding and cooperation during this evolving situation.
The GW COVID-19 website continues to serve as our primary repository for updating our community, and we ask that you continue to monitor the website as this situation evolves.
For emergency access issues, please contact the GWPD emergency line at 202-994-6111.