Clarification for students: If a student is in compliance with their vaccination documentation (either their vaccination record has been approved, or they have an exemption on file for religious or medical reasons, or they have a temporary exemption related to travel/vaccine access in their home country), the student's GWorld card will be active to allow them to move-in. On the day that they move-in, or the next business day if they move-in after hours, they should take their first COVID test. Their GWorld will not work will not work at Lerner, the library or for any other campus academic building until they get their first COVID-19 test. The CCST will be sending information on how to schedule their first COVID-19 test at our on-campus testing center shortly before they move-in. Reminders: Students who are vaccinated will participate in monthly COVID-19 testing, students who have a temporary exemption or a full-academic year exemption will participate in weekly testing.
This fall, most buildings on our campuses will be accessible only by GWorld card. The GWorld card is the official ID card at GW. All active members of the GW community are eligible to receive a card. Your card serves as your university identification, allowing you tap access to facilities on our Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and VSTC campuses including residence halls, academic buildings, and the library. It also holds your dining plan and declining balance accounts, and is used to access permitted and occasional parking. It is important that you always carry your GWorld card with you while on campus.
If you teach or take classes at our Arlington or Alexandria campus or another off-site location, your program administrator or building manager will provide you with instructions on how to access your building.
Access to Buildings
Buildings that will remain unlocked to the public include:
- University Student Center
- Shenkman Hall Food Court
- District House Food Court at both the H and Eye Street entrances (opening in August)
- West Hall Pelham dining area at Mt. Vernon Campus (opening in August)
Buildings that are only accessible to students in specific programs/schools include:
- Ross Hall
- Law School
All other classroom buildings will be GWorld accessible to all current employees and students during class hours. Details related to specific building access and hours can be found on the GWorld website.
Traditional Key Access
Traditional hard keys may no longer be needed due to the installation of GWorld tap readers. In other cases, staff who managed keys for individual areas may no longer be with the university or perhaps keys have been misplaced since the last time they were used. We suggest that individual units prepare an inventory of keys for each department and identify where and what keys may be needed. Fixit Requests should be submitted for new keys to replace those that are missing or for locks that have been recorded since last they were used.
GWorld Card Details
Ensure your GWorld Card is active
Over the course of the pandemic, unless you were approved to be on campus, your GWorld access was turned off. To fully activate your GWorld Card, you must first:
- Be in compliance with GW’s COVID-19 vaccine requirement (by uploading your vaccine card for verification)
- Take required COVID-19 tests on schedule (if you are new or returning to campus, you will need to take a COVID-19 test before your GWorld is activated.)
Need to receive your first GWorld Card?
- Stop by the GWorld Office located on the ground floor of the University Student Center (open weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Students must be enrolled for at least one course in either summer or fall semester to be eligible.
- New Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campus undergraduate students should have already received photo upload instructions and will receive their GWorld Card at move-in/orientation.
- New Graduate students should have recently received an email with photo upload instructions. When uploading your photo you can select to pick up your card at either the GWorld Office on the Foggy Bottom Campus or Enterprise Hall at the Virginia Science & Technology Campus.
- New Law School and Medical School students will receive their GWorld Card at orientation.
Did you lose your GWorld Card?
Stop by the GWorld Office (open weekdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) to request a replacement card for a $25 fee.
Is your GWorld Card Expired?
Check the bottom of the card for the printed expiration date.
- Students, stop by the GWorld Office, and turn in your expired card for a free renewal.
- Employees, we auto extended expiring cards for all active employees through December 31, 2021. The GWorld Office is currently experiencing heavy volume due to incoming students. We encourage employees to stop by for renewal later in the fall semester.